Christ House is currently hiring for the following positions:
Christ House, located in Washington D.C., provides 24-hour medical care for individuals who are homeless with acute medical needs. We are seeking a talented and motivated Addictions Counselor to provide individual and group counseling, and some case management services for our 34-bed facility at Christ House as well as members of our permanent, supportive housing program.
This position requires:
- Current CAC Level II or advanced degree in social work or counseling with experience in addictions counseling required.
- Extensive experience working in groups and individually with those who have substance abuse issues.
- Demonstrated record of creating and implementing recovery programs and curriculums.
- Experience working with homeless persons.
- Thoroughly familiar with 12 step recovery work.
- Ability to assist persons in various stages of recovery in the Christ House and Kairos Program communities.
- Ability to work as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to communicate with other professionals regarding treatment progress.
- Excellent interpersonal and team-building skills as well as 5 years of experience in the recovery field.
We offer a generous benefits package, including health, dental, vision and life insurance, accrued time off, and a retirement plan.
To apply: Please send a cover letter and up-to-date resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Patients are admitted to Christ House from area hospitals, shelters, clinics, and medical outreach projects. They suffer from a variety of illnesses and injuries including cancer, hypertension and stroke, liver disease, kidney failure, diabetes and related amputations, HIV/AIDS, respiratory disease, major lacerations, fractures, and ulcerations of the skin. Many are malnourished, anemic, depressed, and desperately disconnected from healthy sources of support.
We are open 7 days a week and serve 3 meals a day to about 50 people. The position requires a flexible schedule and open availability on weekends and holidays. There are 3 other kitchen staff members including an Executive Chef who plans the meal and supervises the staff. There is also a rotating group of volunteers to aid in dishwashing, food preparation as well as meal service. We are motivated to provide nutritious meals utilizing local donations and picking up food from the Capital Area Food Bank.
- Prepares meals according to planned menus and direction of the director of food services.
- Prepares special meals in accordance with requests from clinical staff which may include, but not limited to liquefied or soft foods or clear liquid diets.
- Follows proper food safety and sanitary practices including, but not limited to hand washing, use of gloves when preparing and serving food, proper storage and labeling of food.
- Serves food from the buffet line or at tables or oversees volunteers performing food service.
- Performs cleaning tasks in the kitchen or dining room as assigned or as needed. Includes deep cleaning appliances, some dishes, and work surfaces.
- Supervises and provides assistance to volunteers as needed.
- Creates an atmosphere of hospitality and promotes a spirit of cooperation among individuals and groups.
Compensation: hourly, $15/hr or more
Competitive hourly wage, healthcare benefits, paid holidays and overtime.
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Year-Long Volunteer Nurse
Christ House, a 24-hour medical respite facility for homeless men with acute medical needs in Washington, DC, seeks a Yearlong Volunteer Nurse for our 2017-2018 Yearlong Program.
We are looking for a professional and personable team player who desires to work in a medical respite setting. The Yearlong Volunteer Nurse reports directly to the Clinical Director.
- Assess, plan, implement, and evaluate patient care
- Administer medications as ordered by the provider, including scheduled and pm medications and immunizations
- Directly supervise homeless respite care assistants
- Provide wound care, draw labs, interpret vital signs, write referrals to specialists, and provide ongoing patient education
- Work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, and some holidays
- Desire to work with those who are homeless, coping with addictions, and have various physical and mental health needs
- Live on site and fully participate in the Emmanuel House community, including weekly Community Nights
- Commit to being present in mind, heart, and body throughout the year of service
- Actively contribute to the Christ House mission of “providing comprehensive health care to sick, homeless persons and to assist them in addressing critical issues to help break the cycle of homelessness”
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing
- DC license as RN
- Current CPR certification
- Provide documentation of eligibility for employment and routine immunizations.
- Must be at least 21 years of age at the start of the program, submit our on-line volunteer application packet (including a completed application and three reference forms), and undergo an interview process
Yearlong Volunteer Benefits:
- Year of service and learning with those who are sick and homeless
- Room and board
- Monthly stipend
- Stipend upon completion of year of service
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Opportunity to defer loans
- Opportunity to grow spirituality in a community of healing and recovery
- 20 days PTO
How to apply:
Apply here: http://christhouse.org/volunteer/ylv/
We are accepting applications for this position on a rolling basis. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The Yearlong Volunteer Selection Committee reviews all completed application packets and invites top candidates for interviews, starting with a community life interview, followed by position specific interviews. We conduct interviews by Skype or in person, if possible.
The selection committee makes final decisions about candidates and the Coordinator of Yearlong Volunteers informs program candidates of their selection to the program.