Year-Long Volunteer Nurse
Christ House, a 24-hour medical respite facility for homeless men with acute medical needs in Washington, DC, seeks a Yearlong Volunteer Nurse for our 2017-2018 Yearlong Program.
We are looking for a professional and personable team player who desires to work in a medical respite setting. The Yearlong Volunteer Nurse reports directly to the Clinical Director.
- Assess, plan, implement, and evaluate patient care
- Administer medications as ordered by the provider, including scheduled and pm medications and immunizations
- Directly supervise homeless respite care assistants
- Provide wound care, draw labs, interpret vital signs, write referrals to specialists, and provide ongoing patient education
- Work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, and some holidays
- Desire to work with those who are homeless, coping with addictions, and have various physical and mental health needs
- Live on site and fully participate in the Emmanuel House community, including weekly Community Nights
- Commit to being present in mind, heart, and body throughout the year of service
- Actively contribute to the Christ House mission of “providing comprehensive health care to sick, homeless persons and to assist them in addressing critical issues to help break the cycle of homelessness”
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing
- DC license as RN
- Current CPR certification
- Provide documentation of eligibility for employment and routine immunizations.
- Must be at least 21 years of age at the start of the program, submit our on-line volunteer application packet (including a completed application and three reference forms), and undergo an interview process
Yearlong Volunteer Benefits:
- Year of service and learning with those who are sick and homeless
- Room and board
- Monthly stipend
- Stipend upon completion of year of service
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Opportunity to defer loans
- Opportunity to grow spirituality in a community of healing and recovery
- 20 days PTO
HOW TO APPLY
Apply here: http://christhouse.org/volunteer/ylv/
We are accepting applications for this position on a rolling basis. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
The Yearlong Volunteer Selection Committee reviews all completed application packets and invites top candidates for interviews, starting with a community life interview, followed by position specific interviews. We conduct interviews by Skype or in person, if possible.
The selection committee makes final decisions about candidates and the Coordinator of Yearlong Volunteers informs program candidates of their selection to the program.