Update: Please note that we are currently only accepting men’s new/used winter coats and men’s brand new clothing donations. We have reached capacity for all other clothing donations.
We are grateful to our generous donors who provide needed items for Christ House patients. In order to make the best use of our limited storage space and to ensure that patients have access to clothing and toiletries that they most urgently need, we have created the in-kind donation policy detailed below.
Christ House believes in providing all items in a condition that acknowledges the dignity of the individual receiving the item. Therefore please make sure all clothing items are without holes, rips, or stains, and have been cleaned. We believe our patients deserve the best and hope you will consider the message your donation sends to those receiving your items.
How to Give
Donations are only accepted during Christ House business hours: Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Our offices are closed on all federal holidays. If you have any questions, please call (202)328-1100 to verify that we can accept the donation.
Not sure what to give? Start here!
Christ House keeps our Amazon Wish List up to date with our most needed items for our patients. Items purchased from our Wish List will be shipped directly to Christ House. To receive a donation receipt for your tax records, please email email@example.com and include your Amazon receipt. You can also view our Ongoing Needs below or give through our Amazon Wish List.
You can also select Christ House as your charitable organization of choice through AmazonSmile. Christ House will receive 0.5% of the price of eligible AmazonSmile purchases. Learn more at smile.amazon.com.
We ONLY ACCEPT the following items:
- Sweatpants (new, men’s only)
- Sweatshirts (new and gently used, men’s only)
- Jackets/Coats (new and gently used, men’s only)
- Jeans and Khakis (new and gently used, men’s only)
- Short and Long Sleeve T-Shirts (new and gently used, men’s only)
- Sneakers/Tennis Shoes (new and gently used, men’s only)
- White Underwear Briefs (new, men’s only)
- Winter Hats, Gloves, Scarfs (new, men’s/gender neutral only)
- SmarTrip® cards: A SmarTrip® card is a permanent, rechargeable card used to pay Metrorail and local bus system fares in Washington, D.C.
- Toiletries: travel sized shaving cream, razors, deodorant (men’s or gender neutral only), toothbrushes, and toothpaste
- Food: black tea bags, ground coffee, dry coffee creamer, peanut butter, jam, tomato sauce, brown rice, canned corn, beans, broth, soups, vinegars, and oils
*If you are hoping to organize a food drive, please download our food donation flyer at the bottom of this page.
In an ongoing effort to best utilize your gifts, Christ House is UNABLE to accept the following items:
- Suits, blazers, dress pants, dress shoes, large quantities of dress shirts or ties
- Women’s clothes
- Children’s clothes
- Medical items
- Furniture or household items
- Full-sized toiletries
- Large quantities of hotel toiletries
Please be mindful that when Christ House staff must sort through items we cannot use, pack them up, and transport them elsewhere, we are not using our time and resources to the greatest service for our patients. We appreciate your understanding and your help by only donating items our patients truly need.
Tax Receipts: Christ House will provide tax receipts for donations as requested.
Questions? Contact Lydia Olsen, our Director of Volunteers at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202)328-1100.