At Christ House, the medically vulnerable men experiencing homelessness who come to us are not just our clients. When they are in our care, they are our neighbors and our community members. We opened our doors in 1985 as the first medical respite facility for sick, homeless patients in the country and are still the only such medical respite program for men experiencing homelessness in Washington, DC. Since that time, we have remained on the cutting edge of conversation around radical hospitality, inclusion, and healing.
You will have no typical day here.
Current open positions at Christ House:
- Development and Communications Associate (below)
Christ House is seeking a chaplain to join our staff team. This position is responsible for providing pastoral care and building helping relationships with patients and staff to encourage a holistic, healing community.
Essential functions include:
- Provide individual and small group pastoral care for a 33-bed, 24-7 medical respite facility for homeless men.
- Participate and assist with weekly spiritual life activities including Sunday morning worship services, table fellowship communal dinners, and evening prayer, as well as other special events and holidays.
- Desire to build community among Christ House patients, Kairos program participants, staff, and volunteers.
- Engage patients in formal and informal settings, such as, accompaniment to appointments, visits in hospitals and nursing homes, during meal times, and in the courtyard.
- Opportunity to present the teaching at Sunday morning worship.
- Support and contribute to a diverse and interdenominational staff of 50-60.
- Facilitate one-day and weekend retreats.
- Attend weekly team meetings and patient community meetings.
- $50,000 to $60,000
- Commensurate with experience.
Please e-mail a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Development and Communications Associate
We are seeking a full-time Development and Communications Associate to work with our Director of Engagement and Resource Development with fundraising activities and the important task of telling the story of Christ House.
The Development and Communications Associate is a highly valued member of our two person Development Office. You will have the opportunity to make a significant impact through your work, wherein you will be granted a high level of independence. Make no mistake, your ideas will be heard and valued by your colleagues and superiors.
You will play a key role in sustaining the operations of Christ House by contributing to the important work that is fundraising. You will have the great responsibility and privilege of capturing compelling stories from individuals who have experienced significant adversity, your colleagues who are incredibly dedicated to the Christ House mission, and volunteers/donors/other members of the Christ House community who each bring their own unique backgrounds. You will have the opportunity to join a community of healing that benefits not only patients, but everyone who is a part of it.
Christ House is truly a place like no other. We’d love for you to experience it for yourself and join our team.
Development and Communications Associate Essential Responsibilities:
- Track, record, and ensure timely acknowledgement of all monetary and in-kind donations using DonorPerfect
- Serve as main customer service contact for Christ House donors
- Prepare regular reports from DonorPerfect
- Compose monthly thank you letters that incorporate a different patient story each month
- Write content for quarterly print newsletters; lay out copy and photos using InDesign; organize in-house newsletter mailings
- Create content for monthly e-newsletter and Christ House blog
- Manage and update the Christ House website
- Manage the Christ House Facebook page and Instagram to maintain steady and positive presence for Christ House on social media
- Assist with front desk receptionist duties
- Help with special projects (e.g. Year End activities, special fundraising days/events, etc.) as needed
- Clearly communicate the story of Christ House to the public in an engaging manner
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- At least one year of work experience preferred
- Excellent writing skills are a must
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Intermediate computer skills with good understanding of database management including running queries and creating reports
- Strong organizational skills and exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Proficiency in MS Office applications
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Experience with InDesign, Constant Contact, WordPress and/or DonorPerfect is a plus, but not required
- Experience working in development/fundraising is a plus, but not required
- Experience interacting/working with diverse and/or marginalized populations preferred
- A belief in radical hospitality, the possibility that homelessness will end one day, and that we are all part of one interconnected community
Other Important Details of the Job:
- We are very much a team at Christ House.
- We see work/life balance as a necessity.
- We value a candidate’s ability to conduct himself/herself with empathy and sensitivity just as much as we value his/her work ethic and writing skills.
- We do not have a large annual event (e.g. no galas, etc.).
- Persons of all or no religious faiths are encouraged to apply.
- Minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Details at a glance:
- On-site Location
- Full Time Schedule
- 4-Year Degree Required
- Entry level
- Hourly rate $17.50 or commensurate with experience
- Low cost medical, dental and vision insurance.
- Employer paid short and long term disability and life insurance.
- 403B with employer contribution.
- 15 days of vacation during 1st year of employment, personal leave, and sick leave.
How To Apply:
Please send your resume, 2 page writing sample, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your subject line should read: “Development and Communications Associate”. Interviews will take place on a rolling basis.