At Christ House, the medically vulnerable men experiencing homelessness who come to us are not just our clients. When they are in our care, they are our neighbors and our community members. We opened our doors in 1985 as the first medical respite facility for sick, homeless patients in the country and are still the only such medical respite program for men experiencing homelessness in Washington, DC. Since that time, we have remained on the cutting edge of conversation around radical hospitality, inclusion, and healing.
You will have no typical day here.
Part-Time Nurse (RN or LPN)
Christ House, a 24-hour short-term medical respite facility for men who are experiencing homelessness in Washington, D.C., is seeking a registered nurse on an as-needed basis. For 35 years, Christ House has provided comprehensive inpatient care to patients coming from area hospitals, shelters, clinics, and medical outreach initiatives. Patients have a variety of chronic and acute illnesses and injuries including diabetes, hypertension, stroke, amputation, HIV/AIDS, liver disease, cancer, major lacerations, fractures, and skin ulcerations. This position offers an incredible opportunity to work alongside a dedicated clinical staff who provide holistic services and promote healing for our patients.
Schedule: 16-20 hours/week, flexible day/overlap schedule (7a-3:30p, or 11a-7:30p), weekend and holiday availability
- Under the supervision of the Clinical Director, the nurse provides holistic nursing support, patient care, and medication management.
- Major Duties/Essential Functions:
- In collaboration with clinical and support staff, help manage medical issues and coordinate with the care team to address the multiple issues that contribute to homelessness.
- Administer medications as ordered by providers.
- Review new orders in chart and integrate them into care plan.
- Work with clinical unit staff, including nursing assistants, providers, and unit clerk to effectively deliver high-quality care to patients.
- Teach and encourage patients’ self-care practices regarding care of their illnesses, management of their medications, and activities of daily living.
- Perform primary nursing procedures to include wound care, and supervise wound care to ensure appropriate infection control measures.
- Prepare patient referrals to hospitals and clinics, and process information received on referrals.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing
- Licensed in DC as an RN or LPN
- Minimum 2 years nursing experience.
- Experience working with underserved or homeless populations preferred.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org