At Christ House, the medically vulnerable men experiencing homelessness who come to us are not just our clients. When they are in our care, they are our neighbors and our community members. We opened our doors in 1985 as the first medical respite facility for sick, homeless patients in the country and are still the only such medical respite program for men experiencing homelessness in Washington, D.C. Since that time, we have remained on the cutting edge of conversation around radical hospitality, inclusion, and healing.
You will have no typical day here.
Description: We are seeking a full-time addictions counselor or coach who can foster a safe, sober environment where our patients and members of our long-term housing program can benefit from treatment and recovery plans based in the 12 Steps.
The mission of Christ House is to provide comprehensive and compassionate health care to sick persons experiencing homelessness in the District of Columbia, and to assist them in addressing critical issues to help break the cycle of homelessness. One of those critical issues we attempt to address is the disease of addiction.
The ideal candidate will have a patient, wise, strong, and compassionate approach to meeting our clients’ recovery needs. Personal experience with the 12 Steps is a plus.
Addictions Counselor Essential Responsibilities:
- Report to the Kairos Program Director.
- Work in collaboration with the Addictions Case Manager to meet recovery needs of each client.
- Co-lead a 9-week recovery course for patients.
- Responsible for urinalysis and alcohol screening tests.
- Be a part of an interdisciplinary team focused on a holistic approach to each client’s medical, emotional, and mental health needs.
- Provide crisis intervention when needed.
- Lead weekly 1:1 coaching/counseling sessions.
- Lead weekly group meetings.
- Assist with screening process for new clients in recovery housing program.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- CAC Level I or Certified Peer Specialist with focus on addictions; CAC Level II preferred.
- Thorough familiarity/experience with the 12 Steps.
- Strong interpersonal, engagement, organizational and time-management skills.
- Solid written and verbal communication skills.
- Competency with Microsoft Office.
- Experience facilitating recovery groups.
- Belief and proven practices in radical hospitality.
- Low cost medical, dental and vision insurance.
- Employer paid short and long term disability and life insurance.
- 403B with employer contribution.
- 15 days of vacation during 1st year of employment personal leave, and sick leave.
We believe in a whole person and invest accordingly.
How to Apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your subject line should read: “Addictions Counselor”.