At Christ House, the medically vulnerable men experiencing homelessness who come to us are not just our clients. When they are in our care, they are our neighbors and our community members. We opened our doors in 1985 as the first medical respite facility for sick, homeless patients in the country and are still the only such medical respite program for men experiencing homelessness in Washington, D.C. Since that time, we have remained on the cutting edge of conversation around radical hospitality, inclusion, and healing.
You will have no typical day here.
Description:We are seeking a full-time social services professional who brings a strong work history in addictions counseling and support, preferably with experience in a setting that focuses on a 12 Step recovery model. This individual will serve on a supportive staff team who works diligently to provide a safe, sober healing environment both for patients and members of our permanent housing program.
The ideal candidate will have a patient, wise, strong, and compassionate approach to meeting our clients’ recovery needs.
The Nuts and Bolts:
- Plans and co-leads a 3-days a week, 10-week recovery curriculum and course for patients; organizes and facilitates end-of-cycle graduation ceremony
- Leads weekly group meetings for Kairos Program members
- Serves on weekly interdisciplinary staff teams, which review each patient’s medical, emotional, recovery, and mental health needs
- Provides 1:1 counseling/coaching to clients on a weekly, biweekly, or monthly basis, depending on clients’ needs
- Conducts recovery intake process for new patients
- Participates in screening process for new Kairos Program members
- Performs crisis intervention when needed
- Conducts urinalysis and alcohol screening tests, as needed
Desired Skills and Experience:
- LGSW or CAC Level II preferred; CAC Level I candidates and Certified Life Coaches with focus on addictions also encouraged to apply
- 5+ years professional experience in a recovery setting, including a strong familiarity with the 12 Steps
- Ability to facilitate recovery groups with knowledge, insight, and empathetic listening
- Strong interpersonal, engagement, organizational and time-management skills
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
- Competency with Microsoft Office
- Belief in radical hospitality
- Personal experience with the 12 Steps a plus
- Low cost medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Employer-paid short- and long-term disability and life insurance
- 403(b) option with employer contribution
- 19 days paid vacation first year of employment; sick leave; 10 paid holidays
We believe in the whole person and invest accordingly.
How to Apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your subject line should read: “Addictions Counselor”.
Christ House is truly a place like no other. We’d love for you to experience it for yourself and join our team.