How can I help at Christ House?
Volunteers are a vital part of the Christ House community. They come from all across the globe as individuals or groups to give their time to Christ House.
To volunteer as an individual in one of the positions listed below, or to suggest another way to contribute your time to Christ House, please complete an Individual Volunteer Application and register for an Individual Volunteer Orientation. Once we have received your application and registration, our Director of Volunteers will contact you.
Our Phone Volunteers answer phones, direct calls, and monitor our entrance at the nurses’ station on evenings and weekends. This role entails sitting alongside a member of our clinical staff and being a welcoming presence for our patients. We ask volunteers in this role to commit to volunteering at least twice a month. We currently have weekly opportunities available.
- Description: Answer phones, monitor our secured entrance, and direct patient inquiries to the medical staff.
- Location: Second floor nurses’ station at Christ House.
- Schedule: Monday-Friday 6:00-8:00pm and Saturday-Sunday 7:00am-7:00pm (in shifts of 2-3 hours).
- Requirements: Must be at least 15 years old, comfortable working independently, and able to maintain confidentiality.
Food Services Volunteer
Food Services Volunteers assist with the preparation, serving, and cleanup for meals on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.
- Description: Help prepare, serve, and clean up during meals.
- Location: Christ House kitchen and dining room.
- Schedule: Monday-Sunday: Breakfast: 7:00-9:00am, Lunch: 11:00-1:00pm, Dinner: 5:00-7:00pm.
- Requirements: Must be at least 15 years old.
Patient Accompaniment Volunteer
Patient Accompaniment Volunteers accompany patients to and from medical appointments. The volunteer must be available during business hours for appointments with physicians, dentists, and other practitioners. The volunteer ensures the patient’s safety and supports patients who may need assistance following instructions or patients who are non-readers. These volunteers may also assist patients experiencing weakened eyesight, weakened hearing, or limited mobility or strength. The volunteer may take notes and relay messages to medical staff. Transportation is provided by Christ House.
- Description: Accompany patients to and from medical appointments and provide other assistance during appointment(s) as necessary.
- Location: Starts and ends at Christ House. Volunteer will meet the patient and driver at Christ House, accompany patient to scheduled appointments, and then will return with patient and driver to Christ House.
- Schedule: Varies; must be available during business hours.
- Requirements: Must be available during regular business hours, comfortable volunteering independently, and able to maintain confidentiality.