How can I help at Christ House?
Volunteers are a vital part of the Christ House community. They come from the D.C. area, as well as from all across the United States and the world, as individuals, groups, or for our year-long residential volunteer program.
To volunteer as an individual in one of the positions listed below, or to suggest another way of contributing your time to Christ House, please complete an Individual Volunteer Application and register for an Individual Volunteer Orientation. Once we have received your application and registration, our Director of Volunteers will confirm with you directly.
Our Phone Volunteers answer phones, direct calls, and monitor our entrance at in the nurses’ station on evenings and weekends. This role includes sitting alongside a member of our clinical staff and being a welcoming presence for our patients. We ask volunteers in this role to commit to volunteering at least twice a month. We currently have weekly opportunities available.
- Location: Second floor nurses’ station at Christ House
- Schedule: Monday-Friday 6:00-8:00pm and Saturday-Sunday 7:00am-7:00pm (in shifts of 2-3 hours)
- Description: Phone Volunteers answer phones, monitor our secured entrance, and direct patient inquiries to the medical staff. Phone volunteers serve on evenings and weekends.
- Requirements: Phone Volunteers must be at least 15 years old, comfortable with working individually, and able to maintain confidentiality
Food Services Volunteer
Assist with preparation, serving, and cleanup after meals on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.
- Location: Christ House kitchen and dining room
- Schedule: Monday-Sunday: Breakfast: 7:00-9:00am, Lunch: 11:00-1:00pm, Dinner: 5:00-7:00pm
- Description: Food service volunteers assist with meal preparation, serving meals and cleanup.
- Requirements: Volunteers must be at least 15 years old to volunteer in our kitchen
Patient Accompaniment Volunteer
Accompany patients to and from medical appointments. The volunteer must be available during some business hours for appointments with physicians, dentists, and other practitioners. The volunteer ensures the patient’s safety and supports patients who may need a little assistance following instructions, patients who are non-readers, those experiencing weakened eyesight or deterioration of hearing, or those with limited mobility or strength. The volunteer may take notes and relay messages to medical staff. Transportation is provided by Christ House.
- Location: Will begin at Christ House, drive to scheduled appointments throughout the city, and return to Christ House
- Schedule: Varies; must be available during business hours
- Description: Accompany patients to and from medical appointments and provide other assistance during the appointment(s) as necessary.
- Requirements: Volunteers must be available during regular business hours, comfortable volunteering independently, and able to maintain confidentially.