Due to COVID-19, we are UNABLE to accept used clothing at this time. All donations of NEW items must be made during regular business hours.
We are grateful to our generous donors who provide needed items for Christ House patients. In order to make the best use of our limited storage space and to ensure that patients have access to clothing and toiletries that they most urgently need, we have created the in-kind donation policy detailed below:
Christ House believes in providing all items in a condition that acknowledges the dignity of the individual receiving the item. Therefore, please make sure all clothing items are without holes, rips, or stains, and have been cleaned. We believe our patients deserve the best and hope you will consider the message your donation sends to those receiving your items.
Donations are only accepted during Christ House business hours: Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Our offices are closed on all federal holidays. If you have any questions, please call (202) 328-1100 to verify that we can accept the donation.
Not sure what to give? Start here!
Christ House keeps our Amazon Wish List up to date with our most needed items for our patients. Items purchased from our Wish List will be shipped directly to Christ House. To receive a donation receipt for your tax records, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include your Amazon receipt. You can also view our Ongoing Needs below or give through our Amazon Wish List.
You can also select Christ House as your charitable organization of choice through AmazonSmile. Christ House will receive 0.5% of the price of eligible AmazonSmile purchases. Learn more at smile.amazon.com.
For clothing donations, we are currently ONLY ACCEPTING the following:
- White Underwear Briefs (new, men’s only)
- Size: L–Priority: Highest
- Size: M, XL–Priority: High
- Size: S–Priority: Medium
- Slip-on Shower Shoes (not flip flops, new, men’s only)
- Size: all sizes–Priority: Highest
- Please see an example of the shower shoes we are looking for on our Amazon Wish List.
- Sneakers/Tennis Shoes (new and gently used, men’s only)
- Size: all sizes–Priority: Highest
- White Undershirts (t-shirt style, new, men’s only)
- Sweatpants (new and gently used, men’s only)
- Long sleeve shirts (new and gently used, men’s only)
- Short sleeve shirts (new and gently used, men’s only)
- Jeans (new and gently used, men’s only)
Below are other high priority In-Kind needs:
- SmarTrip® cards: A SmarTrip® card is a permanent, rechargeable card used to pay Metrorail and local bus system fares in Washington, D.
- Toiletries: travel sized shaving cream, deodorant (men’s or gender neutral only), toothbrushes, and toothpaste
- These are the only toiletries we need. Please do not drop off additional items.
- Food: black tea bags, ground coffee, dry coffee creamer, peanut butter, jam, splenda sugar packets, sugar free drink mix (e.g. crystal lite), granola, fruit cups, tomato sauce, brown rice, canned corn, beans, broth, soups, vinegars, and oils
*If you are hoping to organize a food drive, please download our food donation flyer at the bottom of this page.
In an ongoing effort to best utilize your gifts, Christ House is UNABLE to accept the following items:
- Suits, blazers, dress pants, dress shoes, large quantities of dress shirts or ties
- Women’s clothes
- Children’s clothes
- Medical items/ supplies
- Furniture or household items
- Full-sized toiletries/ toiletries outside of the items above
- Large quantities of hotel toiletries
Please be mindful that when Christ House staff must sort through items we cannot use, pack them up, and transport them elsewhere, we are not using our time and resources to the greatest service for our patients. We appreciate your understanding and your help by only donating items our patients truly need.
Tax Receipts: Christ House will provide tax receipts for donations as requested.
Questions? Contact Lydia Olsen, our Director of Volunteers at email@example.com or (202)328-1100.