Applications for June 2020-2021 are now available!
The Christ House Volunteer Corps is an extension of the mission of Christ House that offers individuals the incredible opportunity to serve alongside men experiencing homelessness with acute medical needs in Washington, D.C. while living in intentional community at Emmanuel House. The service year for Year Long Volunteers (YLVs) runs June to June each year.
We welcome the unique gifts that each person brings in terms of their education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, color, religion, ability, sexual orientation and beliefs.
For more information, please check out our YLV frequently asked questions page.
Interested in learning more about the program and staying up-to-date on our application process? Complete the interest form at the bottom of this page!
All YLVs are expected to complete CPR certification prior to the starting date of their volunteer year. Volunteers work full-time (40 hours per week) in their positions.
The Clinical Unit Assistant…
- Advocates for the complex medical needs of Christ House patients, including liaising between a variety of medical and social service offices
- Serves as the point-of-contact for everyone who enters the medical unit
- Facilitates communication with nurses and doctors
- Requests and obtains information related to medicine changes and scheduling arrangements
- Ensures that patients are properly informed about their care
*This position is best suited for an individual interested in clinical administration and/or public health.
The Registered Nurse…
- Assesses, plans, implements, and evaluates patient care under the general direction of the Clinical Director
- Directly supervises nursing assistants
- Administered medications, provides wound care, draws labs, interpret vital signs, writes referrals to specialists, and provides ongoing patient education
Applicants must be willing to serve as a team to provide high quality patient care. Strong communication skills, the ability to stay organized in a fast-paced setting, and a heart to serve are essential.
*BSN preferred. Must obtain DC nursing license and BLS certification prior to start date.
The Respite Care Assistants…
- Gain hands-on clinical experience
- Change wound dressings and bandages
- Obtain and record vital signs
- Assist patients with activities of daily living as needed
- Provide supportive services for the patients at Christ House
*This position is best suited for an individual with prior experience working in direct patient care.
The Case Management Assistant…
- Assists the lead case managers in setting and achieving goals for each patient
- Supports patients in obtaining public benefits and applies for health coverage for those who are uninsured
- Provides a daily presence to patients for their social work needs
- Ensures that every patient has the benefits they are eligible for so that our medical team can provide quality care
*This position is best suited for an individual interested in a career in social work or other health related fields.
The Patient Support Services Assistant…
- Helps with the planning and implementation of patient activities and events to foster community
- Accompanies patients on appointments to offer a supportive and helpful presence
- Assists the Community Builder with parties and off-site trips
- Supports the nurses’ station with desk coverage and administrative assistance for our clinical staff
The Community Builder/ Activities Coordinator…
- Plans activities that encourage self-expression and joy among Christ House patients
- Leads holiday parties, neighborhood walks, museum visits, creative writing and art classes, trips to local sporting events, and movie nights
- Attends weekly patient community meetings
- Offers fun ways of engagement and encourages participation and self-expression